Re: [xsl] RE: XSL-FO: reset fo:page-number to 1 in each section of .pdf, ba sed on XML input

Subject: Re: [xsl] RE: XSL-FO: reset fo:page-number to 1 in each section of .pdf, ba sed on XML input
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:14:34 +0100
  In contrast, my XML
  input has identically named <ITEM> tags, each containing 1 <BIRD> tag.  If
  two or more BIRD tags contain the same contents, their ITEM tags belong to
  the same section in the output.

This sounds like a standard kind of grouping problem, see the grouping
pages at the Faq or Jeni's site.

> and I don't know in advance how
> many sections of output I'll generate from the input. That's why I can't
> know in advance how many <fo:page-sequence>s I need inside the  <fo:root> of
> my .xsl input.

You don't need to know the number before you run the XSLT, the only
question is whether XSLT can calculate this from the input, and that
appears to be the case from the description. It sounds like you want to
group the item elements based on their contents, and put the result from
each group of items into a different page sequence.

David