RE: [xsl] Limitation of <xsl:result-document> in <xsl:function> in XSLT2

Subject: RE: [xsl] Limitation of <xsl:result-document> in <xsl:function> in XSLT2
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:24:12 +0100

> Using the Saxon 7.4 parser with XSLT2, I am unable to invoke
> <xsl:result-document> from within an <xsl:function> element,
> even though I can invoke it from a named template. Is there
> any particular reason for this discrepancy?

Yes, functions are intended to be side-effect free, so that function
calls within XPath expressions can be liberally optimized by rewriting
the XPath expression. If you want to compute values from the input, use
xsl:function; if you want to produce output, use templates.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx