Re: [xsl] XSLT Xalan problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Xalan problem
From: mark_fletcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:11:52 -0700
I believe the error means that you have additional xml declarations
elsewhere in the file.  The top one is fine.

If this is a file created dynamically via Documentum or some other xml
object repository, this has been known to happen.

Mark Fletcher
PeopleSoft Language Engineering
925.694.3753
mark_fletcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      "Charlie Allerston"
                      <allersto@xxxxxxxx>               To:       "XSL-List@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                      Sent by:                           <XSL-List@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxx        cc:
                      rrytech.com                       Subject:  [xsl] XSLT Xalan problem

                      04/16/2003 02:45 PM
                      Please respond to xsl-list

HAving downloaded Xalan I am having trouble executing a XSLT operation.
I am geting an error which reads

file:///C:/swiss-prot/swiss-prot.xsl; Line 1; Column 8; XSLT Error
(javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException):
javax.xmnl.transform.TransformerException:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The XML declaration may only appear at
the very beginning of the document.

I am new to XSLT but I am very confused as my XML and XSL seem fine.
Here, I will show you the top of each file

swiss-prot.xml :-

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="swiss-prot.xsl"?>

swiss-prot.xsl

 <?xml version="1.0"?>
 <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

OK, so firstly can someone please tell me if I am interpreting the error
correctly.  It is telling me that I have some sort of problem with the
XML declaration at the top of my XSL file?

Second, Is the lay out of my XML and XSL  OK at the top?

Third, If there was an error, not with the top of the file, but with the
actula tagging, could that generate this error message.

Please consider that I am very new to this whole field so if you tailor
your answers to that I would appreciate it.  I mention this as looking
at some of the answers to FAQ's I get more confused by the answer than
by the question

cheers