Re: [xsl] A simple XSLT transformation -> XForms output

Subject: Re: [xsl] A simple XSLT transformation -> XForms output
From: Andrew Watt <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 07:53:25 +0100
At 00:57 19/04/2003 -0400, you wrote:
This is cool, but what about people who want to support browsers other than X-Smiles?

Simon,

My strategy for a new technology tends to be to focus my time on one implementation - hopefully the fullest implementation - and get a progressively better feel for what it will do and what it won't.

Like Saxon 7.x and XSLT 2.0, X-Smiles seems to be the quickest to implement new features after a new WD comes out. Miko Honkalla of X-Smiles is on the XForms WG.

There are about a dozen implementations listed on the W3C site. There was an implementers' meeting about a month ago. There are said to be about 24 implementations (presumably of various states of readiness), but the last time I looked the W3C page hadn't been updated to reflect these additional implementations.

X-Smiles also allows playing with XSL-FO which may be of interest to some on this list. Some of the XForms examples on X-Smiles use XSL-FO and XForms.

Is there a public XSLT library out there to convert XForms to HTML?

Not that I am aware of. But see below.

When I analysed the situation about 6 months ago it seemed like XForms was a waste of time until there's an implementation in a regular browser. And even then, the functionality can be reproduced (it seems to me) without needing XForms, thus, the browser support will probably lag behind genuinely novel things like SVG support. So, I decided to go with regular HTML forms.

I don't necessarily share the assumption that everything has to happen in the regular browser. But that, almost certainly, is off topic and could be a long discussion.

IBM alphaworks released a few days ago an implementation for normal browsers - more specifically it was designed to display in IE 5.5+ with MSXML 4 Sp1. Which I had but the supplied examples didn't work without scripting errors. IBM's response was that my errors were due to not having MSXML 4 Sp1, which I could see the correct DLLs were there and the Properties indicated they were the correct version.

So, if the IBM implentation will work for you (which it didn't for me) you might like to explore it.

Andrew Watt