Re: [xsl] A Question **TO** XSLT Newbies

Subject: Re: [xsl] A Question **TO** XSLT Newbies
From: Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre <dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:23:04 -0400
Larry said:
a) I found XSLT itself to be fairly easy to learn, once I got into it.
b) And thinking declaratively in general wasn't a problem.
c) It's figuring out how *to pull data out properly* that is the problem, vis, XPath.

"To pull out data properly" -- this might be one problem, Most of the time you don't want to "pull" the data out of anything. Instead, try thinking of the task as *filtering*; you are writing an expression to describe a condition on the data or a test of the data (depending on where the expression is used). This is not extraction, and thinking about it as extraction can get in the way.

That said, yes I too think XPath is the hard part. Syntactically, not
just conceptually. ("Do I use quotes there or not?" as well as "do I have
the right context to do that?")

***Obnoxious avoidable Plug (skip if offended)***
Wendell Piez is teaching an Introduction to XPath 1.0 at
Extreme 2003 in Montreal in August, to help with
getting your head around XPath.
***end plug ***

--Debbie
Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre               mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9633