RE: [xsl] xsl-fo header problems

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl-fo header problems
From: David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:03:21 +0100
Hi Ken.
> I just added the following flow to the end of his example
> (his example
> didn't have any flow to work with):

Noted :-)

>    <fo:flow>
>      <fo:block space-before="2cm">
>        <fo:marker marker-class-name="series-title">Title
> here!</fo:marker>
> This is a test.</fo:block>
>      <fo:block space-before="2cm">This is a test.</fo:block>

The request was to get the marker from 'the previous page heading'
(i.e. the static content of the previous page) IIRC?

Using templates on a source file of form

<chapter>
<t>Chapter 1 Title</t>
<sect>
<t>Section 1 title</t>

</sect>
<sect>
<t>Section 2 title</t>

etc.

I intrepreted the requirement to be to maintain the section title
as header until it changed?

hence

<xsl:template match="sect">
  <fo:block>
   <fo:marker marker-class-name="mkr">
      <xsl:value-of select="preceding::sect[1]/t"/>
    </fo:marker>
    <xsl:apply-templates/>

  </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

However, playing with the retrieve-marke options shows up some really
strange values.

I added many markers using
<xsl:template match="p">
  <fo:block>
 <fo:marker marker-class-name="mkr">
      <xsl:value-of select="."/>
    </fo:marker>
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </fo:block>

Just to see what happens. Then had one area flow from across page
boundaries.

The rec is about as clear as mud in  this area.
Within page, picking up first and last (dictionary style)
works. But within page-sequence I simply can't get it.

See if Mike clarifies just what he wanted.

You also said:

Readers should note, however, that my placing of the marker in only the
first block instead of in a block that wraps the other blocks associates
the marker with *only* the first block ... the combination of
retrieve-boundary="page-sequence" and
retrieve-position="first-starting-within-page" means the above will work
without having to do the wrapping.  When dealing with the last block for a
marker, you must wrap the set of blocks with a block with the marker being
the first child of the wrapper block.

Sorry Ken. I don't understand this.
You keep referring to (your book p206/7) parents of markers,
I guess you mean other markers, as in nested markers?

AFAIK the rec talks about only children of a marker being retrieved?
I.e. not content in parents of markers?

 Thanks Ken.
regards DaveP

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk