RE: [xsl] I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as user-inp ut form?

Subject: RE: [xsl] I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as user-inp ut form?
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:08:55 -0400
[Kathy Burke]

> My HTML form is created by applying XSLT templates. For
> example, a <measure>
> element becomes an input box with the @Name applied in the XML. All
> templates spring from a simple structure:

> <head></head>
> <xsl:apply-templates />
>
> Then I was hoping to just add some vb or javascript to the form as
> needed...is it feasible to do it this way?

Yes, very, if I am thinking the same thing as you are.

> >I write a JavaScript which captures the user's input and
> constructs an XML
> string (a
> >well-formed, serialized document, if you will)...
>
> Any way you could show me a bit of an example...?

Here is a javascript function I have used in the past.  It can be called
recursively.  I did not need attributes in this particular application,
but it would not be hard to add them.  It is simple but it produces
well-formed xml unless you work hard to defeat it.

// This function builds a tagged XML element
//with given tag name and content
function element(tag,content){
   var xml
   if (!content) xml='<'+tag+'/>'
   else xml='<'+tag+'>' + content + '</'+tag+'>'
   return xml
}

You could write something like

var xml_string = element('measure',
      element(name,'Form Element 1'),
      'this is a sample form element')
xml_string = element('root',xml_string)

You have to think about whether you need to escape any of the data from
the form elements (which I do not show here).

You could have your stylesheet insert the scriping code into the html
document.

Cheers,

Tom P