RE: [xsl] Confounded by grand-parents

Subject: RE: [xsl] Confounded by grand-parents
From: Rick Taylor <taylor@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:30:44 -0600
Jon,

Unless I'm missing something, the sample pattern that Marty sent you appears to satisfy your requirements --except for an oversight that there exists a registers element between block and register. So it should be "blocks/block[1]/registers/register[1]".

If for some reason you need to match on 'register' and then check 'backwards' to see if the grandparent is the first 'block' element then this is one way to do it

<xsl:variable name="block1" select="//block[1]"/>

<xsl:template match="register[1]">
 <xsl:if test="generate-id(ancestor::block)=generate-id($block1)">
  <firstRegister>
   <xsl:value-of select="."/>
  </firstRegister>
 </xsl:if>