Re: [xsl] extensions and XSLT 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] extensions and XSLT 2.0
From: "Eugene Kuznetsov" <eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 18:47:18 -0400
> I write an extension element in java with the saxon
> processor by implementing the
> net.sf.saxon.style.ExtensionElementFactory. It works,
> and I'm very happy. But then, I have to change the
> implementation of xslt, and move to xalan (or any other
> java processor). I've got a problem, haven't I ?
> Saxon uses its own interface, and xalan too... So I've
> got to rewrite my extension according to the xalan
> interface.

Fridiric, I would like to offer a different perspective.
The problem goes much deeper than incompatibilities between
different java-based engines. What if you want your XSLT
to run on a non-java platform? What if you want to run it
on a java platform that is in itself not compatible with
some code in your java extensions or one that simply doesn't
have access to those extensions?

Extensions are neat and I am sure there are cases when it
makes sense to give up cross-platform capability for some
other benefit. But this seems like a tweener, where the
illusion of cross-platform is preserved but it is really
not much better than someone else putting VBscript into
their XSLT or coding the whole transform into a DLL.

Anyone, that's a perspective, I'm sure many disagree.
I do have one final question -- are you sure that your
extension is something that cannot be done in XSLT 2.0 using
more portable techniques -- and if so, would it be possible
to hear what the functionality is?

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov
\\ eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc. - wirespeed XML
\\ http://www.xs40.com - XS40 XML Security Gateway