RE: [xsl] Using Javascript function in XSL causes HTML to be parsed into normal text

Subject: RE: [xsl] Using Javascript function in XSL causes HTML to be parsed into normal text
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:06:13 -0500
[Nik Coughlin}

> >At what point is the XSL parsing the contents of <content> and
> >replacing all of the < and > symbols in the HTML as lt; and gt;
> >symbols?  How do I stop it from doing this?  Why is it doing it in
> >the function when it didn't do it in the onclick?
> >

> Reduced to answering my own questions.  :p
>
> In case anyone else runs into the same thing, what I needed to do was
> this:
>
> <xsl:value-of select='normalize-space($content)'
> disable-output-escaping='yes' />
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa, not so fast there!  First of all, disable-output-escaping (or
D-O-E) should be used only as a last resort, for two reasons -

1) It is an optional feature not supported by all processors,
2) It usually means that you have not understood the problem or the use
of xslt, and so it is a solution to the wrong problem.

Second, the example you showed _should_ work and the output _should not_
contain any escaped characters.  I tried it out with a stylesheet that
only output the function, using both msxslt3 and Saxon, and as expected,
the output characters were not escaped.  So it may be a function (or
bug) of the particular processor you used, which you did not tell us.

Or possibly the way you have written the real stylesheet is different
from what you have hinted at.  I suggest that you show us a simplified
version of the source and stylesheet that is as simple as possible and
still gives you the undesired output, and tell us the processor you are
using.

Cheers,

Tom P