RE: [xsl] Reprocess template results in same stylesheet?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Reprocess template results in same stylesheet?
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:42:55 -0000

> There is something I find myself wishing I could do in XSLT, but I'm
> too inexperienced to know if whether it's even sensible.  I
> wish there
> were a way to apply  a template, where instead of the
> processor writing
> the template result to the output stream, it would push the
> result tree
> back onto the input stream where it would be available for continued
> processing by the same stylesheet.

You can do this provided your process offers the xx:node-set()
extension, which nearly all processors do.

<xsl:variable name="temp">
  <xsl:apply-templates mode="phase1"/>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:apply-templates select="xx:node-set($temp)" mode="phase2"/>

The namespace for "xx" depends on the processor you are using.

Michael Kay