RE: [xsl] Continue seqlist numbering

Subject: RE: [xsl] Continue seqlist numbering
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:08:56 -0500
At 2004-01-05 18:17 +0000, Andrew Welch wrote:

I said:
> >Anyway, this is another ideal situation for building the
> structure you
> >want in a variable first, and then operating on that (which
> has been in
> >many other posts today).

Ken replied:
> But not with pure XSLT 1.0 ... only with extensions or XSLT
> 2.0 ... in pure
> XSLT 1.0 there is no access to a variable for XPath or XSLT
> processing.

Isn't this just a technicality these days

Ummmmmmmm ... with so many implementations of XSLT I don't think this is at all true ... but perhaps my perspective is different because I teach this stuff and tend to stay in the ivory tower and not bias or prejudice any specific implementations. Not everyone is using Saxon, and not every processor supports a node-set() function, and at XML'2003 we heard that XSLT 2.0 may not become a full recommendation (including CR proofing implementations) until early 2005.

Didn't early 6.5.x versions of Saxon even treat RTF's as node-sets
automatically?  I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying do we really
need to point it out every time in every reply for fear of being picked
up on it?

I continue to do so in my own replies because of the audience of the list and the fact that the list is indexed on so many search engines that people picking up answers out of context may get the wrong impression about what they can and cannot do with a pure XSLT 1.0 implementation. I commented on your post because I felt that such a blanket response might not be well understood by newbies on the list.

I apologize if my response was construed as being pedantic and I didn't mean to denigrate your earlier response.

-- North America (Washington, DC): 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-02-09 Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training for XSLT and XSL-FO world-wide: please contact us for the details

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc