RE: [xsl] self closing elements with attributes

Subject: RE: [xsl] self closing elements with attributes
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:01:55 -0000
> > In XSLT 1.0, the only way to generate XHTML is to use the
> XML output
> > method. That will correctly generate close tags for all elements.
> > Keep in mind, though, that most processors will minimize empty
> > elements when serializing XML output (i.e., <br/> instead of
> but it can
> > be an issue if you create a textarea box with no text--it will be
> > serialized as <textarea . . . />, which will cause IE (at least) to
> > choke--it doesn't parse the tag correctly, so all of the XHTML
> > following the textarea box appears as text in the box
> instead of being
> > rendered by the browser.
>
> So this just means that IE doesn't support XHTML. Live with it (and
> complain to Microsoft :-)

True, but this doesn't help the here and now. Whether we like it or not
IE is the browser of choice (just like M$ Office is the cross-platform
choice).

There are many techniques you can use when the html output method is not
an option, but I would suggest using the latest Saxon (7.x) with its
"xhtml" output method.  Failing that simply put something (comment,
dummy element etc) in the output to ensure the tag doesn't get
minimised.