RE: [xsl] Anyone can explain me this syntax?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Anyone can explain me this syntax?
From: Jarno.Elovirta@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:32:37 +0200
Hi,

> From Muenchian method of grouping, I always use something like this:
>
> ROW[count(. | key('relacion_x_cobertura', REL_ID)[1]) = 1]

  key('relacion_x_cobertura', REL_ID)

will return a node-set whose "relacion_x_cobertura" key value is the same as the string value of REL_ID element,

  key('relacion_x_cobertura', REL_ID)[1]

of that node-set, select the first,

  . | key('relacion_x_cobertura', REL_ID)[1]

create an union of that node-set with the current node. Remember that a node-set will *not* contain dublicates, so if the current node is same node as the first one returned by the key, the resulting set will only contain the current node.

  count(. | key('relacion_x_cobertura', REL_ID)[1])

count the number of nodes in the union set,

  count(. | key('relacion_x_cobertura', REL_ID)[1]) = 1

and if the count is equal to one, return boolean true. In effect, check if the current node is the same node as the first one returned by the key.

The current node. See <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#NT-AbbreviatedStep>.

You haven't read the XPath 1.0 spec, have you? See <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#NT-UnionExpr>.

> - What's the meaning of [1]? I have always used things like
> [FIELD_NAME=some_value]. I understand that perfectly, but
> what about placing only that number in the brackets? I tried
> by using [2] and it worked too... or, perhaps I was lucky?

Read the XPath 1.0 spec, you'll feel better in the morning.

Cheers,

Jarno