Re: [xsl] The real harm is in functions with side effects (Was: Re: Using Extension Functions - Its Efficiency)

Subject: Re: [xsl] The real harm is in functions with side effects (Was: Re: Using Extension Functions - Its Efficiency)
From: "Kurt Cagle" <kurt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:53:16 -0800
Dmitri,

We've talked on this issue before, and in the main I agree with you about
the issue of side effects. This holds true in certain contexts especially
(the use of an imperative variable as an incrementer, for instance,
something that isn't as big of an issue with XSLT2 and sequences), and I
know that I work hard to educate my programmers about the dangers of dealing
with side-effect systems. The problem that comes with XSLT2 is the fact that
any access to a web service is implicitly a side-effect - the same call with
the same parameters to the same web service will potentially return
different values and moreover potentially change the state of the called
service. Ditto the notion of <xsl:document-result> with a packet of
information being sent to a web service.

In other words, a side-effect free environment can only realistically be
maintained if the system itself is completely closed, yet most of the
interesting uses of XSLT only emerge when you open up the system a bit ...
however, I liken this to a novice trying to play jazz vs. a master jazz
musician -- the master will break the rules all the time, but only because
he knows exactly why those rules exist in the first place and he weighs the
risk of breaking them as the cost of achieving art. The novice breaks them
out of ignorance, and just creates bad music, but it is the only way that
the novice will learn what those rules are in the first place.

Hey, Josh! Are you guys any closer to getting an XSLT2 engine into a public
beta? I like Saxon, but I'd love to play with XSLT2 in .NET.

Kurt Cagle
Editorial Director
Center for XML and Web Services, CUNY