[xsl] Re: encoding <-> omit-xml-declaration

Subject: [xsl] Re: encoding <-> omit-xml-declaration
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:29:24 +0100
"Maia Zaharieva" <m.zaharieva@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:008701c3dde2$f09db2c0$bf01a8c0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> i have just noticed, that if i have
>     <xsl:output method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>
> i get the output file with no xml declaration (as it should be).
>
> but if i set the encoding attribute on anything different than UTF-8 the
> omit-xml-declaration get ignored and i always get the xml declaration at
the
> beginning of the output file.
>
> could anyone explain me this correlation?

The default value of the encoding pseudo-attribute of the xml declaration is
"UTF-8".

In case there is no xml declaration a parser will assume that the encoding
of the document is UTF-8. Therefore, for any encoding different from UTF-8
the xml declaration must be specified (otherwise the parser will not be
correctly informed about the real encoding of the document).

Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.
FXSL developer,