RE: [xsl] encoding <-> omit-xml-declaration

Subject: RE: [xsl] encoding <-> omit-xml-declaration
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:27:44 -0000
> i have just noticed, that if i have
>     <xsl:output method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>
> i get the output file with no xml declaration (as it should be).
>
> but if i set the encoding attribute on anything different
> than UTF-8 the omit-xml-declaration get ignored and i always
> get the xml declaration at the beginning of the output file.
>
> could anyone explain me this correlation?

The XSLT 1.0 spec doesn't say explicitly what the processor should do in
this situation, but it does say that the serializer must generate
well-formed XML. XML encoded in anything other than UTF-8 or UTF-16 must
have an XML declaration to be well-formed, so something has to give.
With Saxon, it's the omit-xml-declaration that gives, and that's what's
specified in XSLT 2.0.

Michael Kay