Re: [xsl] libxslt version changes RTF or exsl node-set sorting behavior

Subject: Re: [xsl] libxslt version changes RTF or exsl node-set sorting behavior
From: Daniel Veillard <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:06:59 +0100
On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 12:42:05AM +0400, David Tolpin wrote:
> Paul Kissman:
> > I have an xsl stylesheet that behaves the way I need it to using
> > libxslt-1.0.10, but not on a different machine using version 1.0.32.
> >
> > The stylesheet puts a result tree fragment into a variable in sorted
> > order, so that I can later turn the RTF into a node-set and iterate
> > through the nodes in alphabetical order.
>
> My experience has been that node-set() support in libxslt is badly
> broken, and, worse yet, in different versions it is broken in different
> ways.

  My experience is that node-set() is a badly broken extension to XSLT-1.0
XSLT-1.0 made very conciously the difference between input node and
Result Tree Fragment, but heck most of the vocal implementors were Java
users who didn't care about garbage collection and for which the
implementation of said function ended up being mostly return(input_parameter)
so were quite happy to get this pushed ASAP on defunct XSLT-1.1 and
implementations (without even an explicit cast in the stylesheets).
  I blame the inconsequence of saying
    "here is a standard implement this, we will interoperate"
and changing the rule of the game as soon as deployment really starts.

  Of course it's my opinion and others have the right to disagree >;->

Daniel

daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
http://veillard.com/ |