Re: [xsl] stylesheet to create wml cards

Subject: Re: [xsl] stylesheet to create wml cards
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:10:39 -0500
At 2004-03-03 13:29 +0000, Gill Shields wrote:
I have a stylesheet that converts xml to wml but I'm not sure how to split the wml up into cards. The output needs to be displayed on a simulator and so I dont want the user to have to scroll through hundreds of lines of text on the one screen, it would be more usable to split it up into cards, perhaps displaying about 10 lines of text on each card.

Is it possible to do this using a stylesheet?

There is an example of a stylesheet breaking up an XML file into multiple WML cards on page 55 of the freely-downloadable preview excerpt of our XSLT book that we sell off our website.

From our home page follow the margin link to "Books & free excerpts" and download the free excerpt to the eleventh edition of "Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath".

Note that the PDF book is extensively hyperlinked, bookmarked and indexed (for example, all page numbers are "hot" and can be clicked). We also sell a PDF book on XSL-FO titled "Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO" now in its fifth edition. The purchase of any copy grants perpetual free updates to all future editions of the book. All US Government employees have prepaid access to both books through a worldwide purchase made last year.

I hope this helps.

-- US XSL training: Washington,DC March 15; San Francisco,CA March 22 World-wide on-site corporate, government & user group XML training G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995) Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc