Re: [xsl] What is the best XSLT book for a begginer?

Subject: Re: [xsl] What is the best XSLT book for a begginer?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 08:56:43 -0500
At 2004-03-06 14:21 -0500, Stacey Levine wrote:
I know that this will be subjective, but I am looking for opinions on the
best book for a beginner in XSLT.  Thanks.

We have self-published an electronic publication on XSLT/XPath with a free downloadable excerpt so you can check out the contents before buying, and a perpetual free update policy that allows you no-charge access to all future editions of the book as it changes after you buy a copy.

More details are below.

I hope this helps.

............................ Ken

The latest edition of our XSLT/XPath book:

  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
  (XSL Transformations and the XML Path Language)
  Eleventh Edition - 2004-02-03 - ISBN 1-894049-12-8
  Copyright (c) 2004 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
  / 407 Pages / Subscription price includes no-charge updates, /
  /           / soft-copy of included examples, and an         /
  /           / accessible rendition and 10 PDF renditions.    /
  /           / No-charge 148-page download preview excerpt.   /
  / No-charge prepaid copy for every U.S. Government employee. /

Visitors to our web site can download a no-charge preview excerpt that contains the first two and last two modules in their entirety, plus an overview of each of the other modules. We are hoping this will both illustrate for them the depth and style of the material as well as give them useful information even if they choose not to buy the book itself. The book is only delivered in PDF format, but 10 different renditions are available to choose from (5 in A4 and 5 in US-letter). A soft-copy of all program code examples used in the book is included in the purchase. An accessible rendition is also included that is
friendly for screen readers by using a monospaced font.

Most of our customers use it electronically, though some have actually bound a copy at a place like Kinko's.

Customers of any edition receive no-charge access to all future editions at no additional charge. This book was released in May of 1999 before the Recommendations were made final and customers back then have since received access to each edition as they were created after each release of a new working draft and final Recommendation. Work on the book continues as we get feedback, requests for clarifications, fix typos, etc. Also, the specifications themselves are changing thus requiring the material to be updated.

Prentice Hall has published a paper rendition of the Ninth Edition:

  Definitive XSLT and XPath
  First Edition - 2001-12-10 - ISBN 0-13-065196-6
  Copyright (c) 2002 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
  Prentice Hall PTR - 393 pages
  (a print-only rendition of the Ninth Edition of
   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath;
   this does not qualify for no-charge electronic updates)
  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/dxx-info.htm
  Sample: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/dxx-sample.htm

We have also published an electronic edition of an XSL-FO book:

  Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
  (Extensible Stylesheet Language Formatting Objects)
  Fifth Edition - 2004-02-12 - ISBN 1-894049-13-6
  Copyright (c) 2004 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
  / 477 Pages / Subscription price includes no-charge updates, /
  /           / soft-copy of included examples, and an         /
  /           / accessible rendition and 10 PDF renditions.    /
  /           / No-charge 247-page download preview excerpt.   /
  / No-charge prepaid copy for every U.S. Government employee. /

And Prentice Hall has published a paper rendition of the Third Edition:

  Definitive XSL-FO
  First Edition - 2003-03-21 - ISBN 0-13-140374-5
  Copyright (c) 2003 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
  Prentice Hall PTR - 454 pages
  (a print-only rendition of the Third Edition of
   Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO; this does not
   qualify for no-charge electronic updates)
  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/dxf-info.htm
  Sample: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/dxf-sample.htm

--
US XSL training: Washington,DC March 15; San Francisco,CA March 22
World-wide on-site corporate, government & user group XML training