Re: [xsl] Trouble with namespaces and running identity transform on XHTML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Trouble with namespaces and running identity transform on XHTML
From: Kevin Jones <kjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:08:04 +0000
On Tuesday 09 March 2004 21:49, James J. Ramsey wrote:
> I've tried variants on this with the
> exclude-result-prefixes attribute of xsl:stylesheet
> and also tried messing with the xsl:namespace-alias
> element, but can't seem to this to produce the same
> output on both xsltproc and Saxon, and I keep getting
> invalid output with attributes like xmlns="" or
> xmlns:h="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";.

Hi James,

I would think the problem is that what you are thinking of as
"invalid output" is in fact correct for XSLT. The processors can
and will add namespace decalrations like xmlns="" if they are
needed to preserve the namespaces of the elements/attributes you
are generating and different processors do this in different
ways.

Perhaps a way forward would be to state what type of transform
you would like to perform on the XHTML and I am sure somebody
will be along very quickly to help.

Kev.