RE: [xsl] breaking up a big xml file into smaller xml files

Subject: RE: [xsl] breaking up a big xml file into smaller xml files
From: "Ragulf Pickaxe" <jawxml@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:51:40 +0000
Hi Don,

It seems that you have copied and pasted an output from IE view, so I don't know if the output you showed us is representative of your data output. Looking at the output below, it seems that the different XML documents are not valid. You have unclosed elements in the first output file and you have closing element tags in the fith output file, with no matching start tags.

This makes me unsure of what you really are trying to achieve, wherefore I can't say anything from your XSL file.

You have a sample XML file in your mail - could you say what output files you would like from this file?

Regards,
Ragulf Pickaxe :)

Using document() I extract the data from the large XML file and store it in
a new file using saxon:output. Everything's straightforward so far. Here's
where things start to get complicated. Each output xml file will contain a
sequence of sections from the large XML file based on author and unbroken
sequence of nodes. Sorry, difficult to explain. Here's an example of the
output I'm trying to get. Given the above listing the result of processing
should be 10 XML files.

Output file 1 contains the following sections:
  <chapter id="1" name="Overview" author="rpo">
      <section name="Mission Statement" author="rpo" />
-     <section name="Around Campus" author="rpo">
        <subsection name="Students and Faculty" author="rpo" />

Output file 2 contains:
        <subsection name="Students and Faculty" author="rpo" />

Output file 3:
        <subsection name="The Campus" author="rtdavis" />

And so on.

Note, output file 5 contains:
        <subsection name="Accreditation" author="rpo" />
      </section>
-     <section name="Administrative Organization" author="rpo">

As you can see from this last example the sections used to create the output
xml isn't necessarily from the descendent axis. The only restriction is
that an output file can only contain sections from within a chapter.