Re: [xsl] Streamlining XSL and transform performance (how does it actually work?)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Streamlining XSL and transform performance (how does it actually work?)
From: Julian Voelcker <asp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:30:02 GMT
Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for the help, this list is fantastic!

> Just a suggestion, but I found that when dealing with large files, if I
> kept the XML element names as small as possible it was faster in terms
> of XML file download across a network or over the internet.

Unfortunately I have no control over the XML file, but it is all being
run on a local machine, so network performance isn't an issue.

OK, a couple more questions if you can bear it...

Where we have..

<XSL:template match="AnswerSet">
        <xsl:apply-templates select="Answer[@name='ticdesc']"/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="Answer[@name='ticdesc']">
</xsl:template>>

There are going to be a lot of instances when I want to be able to
'extract' a specific value like the value of ticdesc.  Is there any way
of making the template more versatile so that the name ticdesc is passed
to is when the template is applied?

Also, going along the same lines, is it possible to set and read
variables within the XSL file?

Thanks again for all the help.
--
Cheers,