[xsl] XML, Schema and Aspect-Oriented Programming - Is XSLT the KILLER App that bridges XML and AOP?

Subject: [xsl] XML, Schema and Aspect-Oriented Programming - Is XSLT the KILLER App that bridges XML and AOP?
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:22:52 -0700
Hello All,

I've been reading a lot on AOP as of late, especially with IBM Corp's
recent tools announcement (see:
http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5178164.html for C|NET and
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/developer/0,39020387,39149838,00.htm
for ZDNET-UK).

NOTE: For those of you not familiar with what AOP is go here >>
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/kiczales97aspectoriented.html

I was reading Russ Miles blog on the subject of Aspect Orientation in
XML (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4571 ) and his call for a
brainstorming session to determine just how the two technologies could
work together and just how an XML file and SCHEMA file could be
processed using a "weaving-rules" file  generated by the AOP project.
His answer was a brief description of how he saw XSLT as, in essence,
the killer app that bridged XML and AOP.

I don't mean for my years of Technical Evangelism at MS to shine through
here right at this moment but I see IBMs announcement and the wave of
energy it has recently pushed into the java dev community -- And I see
an opportunity! :) We all need to get out there and start making some
noise towards the absolute appropriateness for XML, SCHEMA, XSLT, and
AOP to be one in the same as far as the technologies that will drive
this newly popularized push towards implementing AOP into the enterprise
and beyond.  Russ's post is a starting point.  A quick Google groups and
directory search on both - aspect oriented programming and xslt - as
well as - AOP and xslt - returns a total of 18 results in each section
which tells me that with all of the chatter going on about AOP there
isn't a lot that involves XSLT. So... LETS GET POSTING!!!! :D  (sorry
for the temporary TE relapse -- im done... for now ;)

Looking forward to your thoughts!

<M:D/>

BTW... If any of you out there have an XSL, XSLT, XSL-FO, XPath, XQuery,
XForms, or XMLP/Web Services, or even a more generalized XML-based Blog
or know of a decent feed that is updated on a somewhat regular basis can
you please post the URI for the RSS so that we can all start increasing
the "chatter" and get a few more than 18 matches (most were from 2002
and 2003) on two technologies that, as far as  AOP is concerned should
be considered mandatory to be able to utlize XML-based standards
(including and more specifically XMLP and Web Services),  manage and
process complex "weavings" of SCHEMA, source XML files, and a rules XML
files.  I don't know a ton about AOP but from what I do know there seems
to be a need for extensive management of the processes and aspects of
the called assembly

In fact I just did a proof of concept for a company that utilizes
multiple outside source docs to validate, process, change as nessary and
merge the XML being served by the servlet into a document layout and
stream that match
Happy Sunday(late for most of you!) to you all!  Lets get Blogging!!! :D
:D :D Or point us to your Blog so we can begin using its features to
post proper XSLT related information to help encourage other to a)begin
using XSLT b) use proper coding techniques c)begin extending XSLT into
new areas such as AOP for processing and rendering AOP index files as
well as the actual rendered code for compiling by another process.

3+6

<M:D/>