Re: [xsl] unwanted xmlns="" attribute

Subject: Re: [xsl] unwanted xmlns="" attribute
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:38:40 +0100
> However the included file is also included from a second XSLT file with
> contains no existing namespace references. If I add
> xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/"; to <help> this renders as <help
> xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/"/> - I do not want the attribute to appear
> in the second file.

That means that your two uses need to generate two completely different
elements: help in the RSS namespace in one case (are you really sure you
want that) and <help/> in no namespace in the other case.

To XSLT this is the same as saying you want to generate <A/> in one case
and <B/> in the other: you can't use the same literal result element to
generate elements with two different names.

You can use

<xsl:element name="help" namespace="{$namespace-to-use}"/>

and pass in the parameter $namespace-to-use set to the RSS namespace in
one case and "" in the other.

David

http://www.star.net.uk