[xsl] xslt 2.0 and alternatives?

Subject: [xsl] xslt 2.0 and alternatives?
From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:15:35 -0400
I've been working with XSLT 2.0, which currently means Saxon. I wonder what I ought to be telling people who might be interested in integrate processing into a C or C++ project?

So, I know this comes up sometimes, but I'm still unclear: when -- if ever -- are we likely to see xalan-c or libxslt with xslt 2.0 support? Are we talking years here?

If that isn't a realistic medium-term option, then how to think about using the work I've done in that sort of environment? The most significant functionality enabled by 2.0 is the temporary tree stuff that sorts and enhances my data, and the related multi-level grouping operations. So, using XSLT 2.0, I take a list of records, and create a temporary tree that does a multi-level grouping and sorting, and adds a number of virtual elements to make subsequent processing easier.

How easy is this to do with one of the other processors (using I guess the exslt nodeset extension and whatever grouping tricks)?

Would another option be a pre-processor written in another language that does the equivalent of the temp tree work in XSLT 2.o?

Bruce