Re: [xsl] Output a default value for an empty node

Subject: Re: [xsl] Output a default value for an empty node
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:40:53 +0100
not that it really matters unless you are doing millions of these on a
very slow machine but

is probably fractionally better written as

because that saves it counting the length of a string (strings used in a
test are true if non-empty, so you don't really need the length) on the
other hand Mike will probably tell us saxon special cases tests against
string-length = 0 and produces the same code in both cases.

Or perhaps best of all is to directly code in xpath what you said in
English, that there is no text child (rather than saying the effective
string value is the empty string) that would be

Also, I thought my default text was more friendly than yours:-)