[xsl] Creating Drop Caps with XSL

Subject: [xsl] Creating Drop Caps with XSL
From: David Laurie <dlaurie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:18:23 -0600
Hello XSL list,

I have been gleaning bits of coding help from the list archive for quite a
while now (thanks!) but have run into something I cannot find a solution for
so I finally needed to post. I am using xml and xslt to build a dynamic
website that displays text and maps from an atlas. Our designer wants to be
able to set off the first paragraph and first letter of each text block
displayed.

So I want to transform something like:

<content>
    <header>Some heading</header>
    <paragraph> Some text  here. Some text  here<footnote number="1"/>. Some
text  here. </paragraph>
    <paragraph> Some text  here. </paragraph>
    <paragraph> Some text  here.</paragraph>
</content>

into:

<content>
    <header>Some heading</header>
    <firstparagraph> <dropcap>S</dropcap>ome text  here. Some text
here<footnote number="1"/>. Some text  here. </firstparagraph>
    <paragraph> Some text  here. </paragraph>
    <paragraph> Some text  here.</paragraph>
</content>

Following tips from list archive, I have managed to get almost proper output
with the problem being the exclusion of the footnote tags from the newly
created <firstparagraph> element. It is clear that this occurs because my xslt
converts <paragraph> content to a string, thus omitting the <footnote> tags.

The xsl I use:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

<xsl:template match="div/paragraph[1]">
        <xsl:variable name="dropcap" select="substring(.,1,1)"/>
        <xsl:element name="firstparagraph">
	<xsl:element name="dropcap">
            <xsl:value-of select="$dropcap"/>
        </xsl:element>
	</xsl:element>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
  <xsl:copy>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

I am using the cocoon xslt tansformer built-in processor (a cagey way of
saying I don't know the name of it ;).)

The only solution I can see is to perform an intermediate transformation that
captures all of the contents of paragraph[1] as a string (including the
footnote tags), perform the transformation above, and then transform the
appropriate firstparagraph contents back into tags using a string search
operation.

I couldn't find a means of accomplishing this so I am assuming it is not the
correct solution.

Can anyone suggest one?

Thanks for your time,

Dave