[xsl] IE Mimeviewer rendered useless by Microsoft Hotfix

Subject: [xsl] IE Mimeviewer rendered useless by Microsoft Hotfix
From: "Finstad, Franco" <franco.finstad@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:33:24 -0400
Hello all,

I have a seemingly insoluble problem related to client-side processing
of XML/XSLT using MSXML4. Here's my problem:

My J2EE server returns XML to the browser. The XML specifies in it's
prolog to use a particular XSL stylesheet. The XSL stylesheet has
javascript in it that is called when the HTML <BODY> onLoad() event
fires. The javascript manipulates the XML document using basic XSLT,
then writes to <DIV> layers in the HTML.

Here's the javascript code:
// Get the XML string from the Mimeviewer object
var xmlString = window.document.XMLDocument;

// Create an MSXML4 DOMDocument object
var myXmlObject = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0");
myXmlObject.async = false;
myXmlObject.load(xmlString);

// Get the MSXML4 object for the XSL data
var xslObject = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument.4.0");
xslObject.async = false;
xslObject.resolveExternals = false;
xslObject.load(window.document.XSLDocument);

// Get the root node of the XML doc and apply the XSL to it
var myXmlNode = myXmlObject.documentElement;
var myHtml = myXmlNode.transformNode(xslObject);

The problem is that the IE Mimeviewer object
(window.document.XMLDocument) has been rendered unreliable by a
Microsoft hotfix released in July 2003. Namely, the "readyState"
property is unreliable, it does not accurately reflect the readiness of
the data. See below:

Limitation of XML Mimeviewer Causes Unexpected Behavior When You
Transform XML Data by Using Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;823828

My question is --- How do I load my MSXML4 DOMDocument object without
using the Mimeviewer object?

Is there a way for me to access the XML loaded into the browser without
referring to window.document.XMLDocument?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Franco Finstad
Project Manager
Tallan Consulting