Re: [xsl] how to store node in variable?

Subject: Re: [xsl] how to store node in variable?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:26:01 +0300
At 2004-10-21 12:39 -0700, John wrote:
How do I store a reference to a node in a variable

Only in the select= attribute.

or what am I doing wrong? Here is what I have (maybe oversimplified) :

<xsl:variable name="me">
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="<some condition>">
      <xsl:copy-of select=".." />
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>
      <xsl:copy-of select="." />
    </xsl:otherwise>
  </xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable> <xsl:call-template name="<some template>">
  <xsl:with-param name="myid" select="$me/@id" />
</xsl:call-template>

The with-param is always throwing an error, expression should result in a node-set.

Right ... because it is a result tree fragment, not a node set.

If I add msxsl:node-set around my selects in the variable definition I get cannot convert result tree fragment to node-set.

Not sure why, but you'd get a copy of the node, not the node itself, so you would lose the context, so that wouldn't help (and it wouldn't be pure XSLT).

Alternatively, is there any way to explicitly set the context node without using for-each?

I would use:

    <xsl:variable name="condition" select="<some condition>"/>
    <xsl:variable name="me" select="../self::*[$condition] |
                                    self::*[not($condition)]"/>

Only one of the union would be in the result because the condition is true exactly once.

I hope this helps.

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc