RE: [xsl] disable-output-escaping in xsl:attribute

Subject: RE: [xsl] disable-output-escaping in xsl:attribute
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:44:45 +0100
>  <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">G&auml;ste</xsl:text>

disable-output-escaping only affects the way that special characters such as
ampersand and "<" are output. This string does not contain any such
characters (it contains the five characters G, a-umlaut [*], s, t, e) and
none of these would be escaped anyway.

(* I'm guessing about &auml; - you haven't actually shown us the entity
definition)

But it's true - disable-output-escaping isn't allowed for attribute nodes.
At one stage the XSLT 2.0 draft allowed it, but then we decided it didn't
make sense to deprecate the feature and extend its reach at the same time.

You shouldn't need d-o-e just to handle non-ASCII characters. What are you
actually trying to achieve?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/