RE: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 *and* XSLT 1.0 validation -- how to?

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 *and* XSLT 1.0 validation -- how to?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:59:42 +0100
> > Excuse me if this is a dumb or already discussed question.

It's already discussed but not dumb.

(Is it really still acceptable to use "dumb" to mean stupid? I'm not a great
fan of political correctness, but I do find it offensive to equate speech
difficulties with stupidity.)

I take the liberty of copying the following from an xmlschema-dev posting
today by Noah Mendelsohn:

<quote>
Perhaps there is still a bit of confusion.  HTML is only an example.  Many
users of XML have vocabularies that would look unnatural or inconvenient
if they sprouted explicit version control on individual instance elements
after the initial release.  Whatever we do needs to anticipate the needs
of such users, not just those who author HTML.

You might be interested in an analysis that I did for the schema WG and
later posted in a publicly accessible archive [1].  This analysis is not
consensus of the Schema WG;  there are other members of the WG who have
somewhat different view of these issues and who especially would differ
with some of the mechanisms discussed in the second part of the note.  You
may also want to keep an eye on the work that David Orchard and Norm Walsh
have been doing toward a TAG finding [2] on XML Versioning (draft at
[3]--I wouldn't be surprised to see new drafts soon).

At the very least, I hope that you will get a feeling that we are all
trying hard to understand the requirements and use cases, and that taken
together those use cases embody a broader range of concerns and
constraints than many casual observers might notice.  Whether we can in
fact do something useful in this space, either by providing explicit
mechanisms or best-practices advice remains to be seen.  Versioning is
known to be a very, very hard problem.

Noah

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2004Aug/0010.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/findings