Re: [xsl] Identity Transform Grouping Question

Subject: Re: [xsl] Identity Transform Grouping Question
From: Anton Triest <anton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:13:40 +0200
Hi Ethan,

Finally, the last issue seems to be performance. I had originally mentioned another solution that someone had assisted me with that employed for-each rather than templates and used the Muenchian method as well. It performed well -- 2 seconds to transform a 3MB file, although it didn't group to the number of levels as above (though I suspect it would not have made a significant difference). However, the templates-based solution above takes about 45 seconds, which is of course a major difference. I'm not sure why (perhaps the number of keys stored in memory due to the various grouping levels, or the use of "ancestor"?), or where improvements could be made, so I may need to revisit the other solution.

Yes, 2 seconds or 45 seconds is a big difference. But I don't think this can be caused by using apply-templates vs. for-each. Maybe the other one was faster because it restricted the Muenchian grouping to a limited nodeset (rather than concatenating ancestor::country names etc. in the keys).

Anyway, there must be ways to optimize this. I'd like to help, but I would need a large file to test with - if you could send me a 3MB input file off-list?

Cheers,
Anton