RE: [xsl] Multiple xml-stylesheet processing instructions

Subject: RE: [xsl] Multiple xml-stylesheet processing instructions
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:48:36 -0000
> It's in the introduction to the XSLT 1.0 recommendation!
>
> "This document does not specify how an XSLT stylesheet is associated
> with an XML document. It is recommended that XSL processors support
> the mechanism described in [XML Stylesheet]. When this or any other
> mechanism yields a sequence of more than one XSLT stylesheet to be
> applied simultaneously to a XML document, then the effect should be
> the same as applying a single stylesheet that imports each member of
> the sequence in order (see [2.6.2 Stylesheet Import])."
>
> Now why isn't this in the XSLT 2.0 draft?

I don't remember the detailed history. At some stage the WG decided to
remove the "recommendation" that XSLT processors support <?xml-stylesheet?>
and replace it simply with an example of how one might do so. It was part of
the exercise of tightening the boundary as to what was in scope for the XSLT
spec and what wasn't - invoking the transformation is outside that boundary.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/