Re: [xsl] break or exit in xsl?

Subject: Re: [xsl] break or exit in xsl?
From: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 04:56:13 -0800 (PST)
I wish to add something important.. There is something
called "document order" - which is order of nodes in
the original document(and it is fixed). In
xsl:for-each the select attribute evaluates to a
node-set. The XSLT 1.0 spec says (about select
attribute of xsl:for-each).. "the nodes are processed
in document order, unless a sorting specification is
present"..

So the "select attribute" of for-each selects a
subtree with the original tree.. And this subtree
(i.e. the node-set) is processed in document order..
So you can expect in which order the output will
appear!

So it is sequential processing from "document order
point of view"..

Regards,
Mukul

--- Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> if I can add a bit to what others have said..
>
> When we specify some XPath expression in select
> attribute of xsl:for-each (like Person/Age), we are
> asking the XSLT processor to select a portion of
> input
> tree, and traverse all the nodes "on this subset" of
> input tree. The nodes of this subtree (specified by
> select attribute) may be scattered at various places
> in the original source tree. The processor has to
> traverse the nodes of this subtree. It may do so
> using
> any strategy like parallel, depth-first-search,
> breadth-first-search or something similar..
>
> So imagining sequential execution in xsl:for-each
> loop
> is not right..
>
> Regards,
> Mukul
>
> --- Katharina Kreis <katharinakreis@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I need to exit my xsl:for-each tag when I'm
> reaching
> > a value. Example:
> >
> > <xsl:for-each select="Person/Age">
> >     <xsl:if test=".='30'>
> >        <!-- Here I need to exit xsl:for-each -->
> >     </xsl:if>
> > </xsl:for-each>
> >
> >  In Java or C++ there exists a break or exit
> keyword
> > to do this. How can
> > I do this with xsl?
> >
> > Katharina