RE: [xsl] Scope of xml source, includes, and inline xml

Subject: RE: [xsl] Scope of xml source, includes, and inline xml
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:55:11 +0100
> I am discovering such... I think a better approach is to import the
> xml into a variable at the parent level, so into
> parent_xslt_document.xsl
> Would you agree?

Yes, I would always use global variables for this kind of thing. Or external
"lookup.xml" files, read using the document() function.

> Also, since we are on the subject:
> Is there such thing as cross-walking xml sources?  Recently I tempted
> to match all (as an example) AAA elements with a value of matching all
> BBB element values where BBB xml Source is not the same as AAA's xml
> source.  AAA would be part of the original xml source (not sure how
> you refer to that) where BBB is either an inline XML source "user data
> element" or imported into the stylesheet into a variable, or passed in
> as a parameter.

I can't work out exactly what process you are describing, but it's certainly
possible to join, compare, or merge data from multiple sources in XSLT.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/