RE: [xsl] (newby) extraction of CDATA nodes to different XML files

Subject: RE: [xsl] (newby) extraction of CDATA nodes to different XML files
From: omprakash.v@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:12:03 +0530
Hi M.K,

     Maybe all the guy wants to do is copy the contents of the cdata
sections to individual files.

As one of the solutions mentioned,
if the 3 nodes containing cdata sections were

<foo><![CDATA[   .....snip.....   ]]></foo>
<bar><![CDATA[   .....snip.....   ]]></bar>
<foobar><![CDATA[   .....snip.....   ]]></foobar>

All he needs is 3 templates and the logic to write the content out to
individual files can be nested in those templates.

As for writing to multiple files, I remember reading somewhere XSLT is not
good at this sort of thing.

Regards,
Omprakash.V

                    "Michael Kay"
                    <mike@saxonic        To:     <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    a.com>               cc:     (bcc: omprakash.v/Polaris)
                                         Subject:     RE: [xsl] (newby) extraction of CDATA nodes to different XML
                    04/01/2005           files
                    02:58 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    xsl-list

Can't be done in XSLT: CDATA is not considered to be information-bearing in
the XPath data model. In other words,

<![CDATA[xyz]]>

is exactly the same content as

xyz

just as a="3" and a='3' are considered simply as two different ways of
writing the same thing.

If you have used CDATA in your source document to convey information that
needs to be retained, consider a textual transformation (e.g. in Perl) to
replace the CDATA delimiters by element start and end tags.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is sent for the intended recipient(s) only.
If by an addressing or transmission error this mail has been misdirected to you, you are requested to delete this mail immediately.
You are also hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message, contents or its attachment other than by its intended recipient/s is strictly prohibited.

Visit Us at http://www.polaris.co.in