Re: [xsl] (newby) extraction of CDATA nodes to different XML files

Subject: Re: [xsl] (newby) extraction of CDATA nodes to different XML files
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:45:57 +0100
the best advice on using CDATA sections with XSLT is not to use them:-)

  Thanks again for the explanation of the CDATA section... as far as I
  can understand the use of those sections allow me to freely insert all
  the raw data I need in the resulting XML (resulting from the XSL
  transformation i mean...)

CDATA means Character data and specifically it means "THIS IS NOT XML
MARKUP"

If you have

in a source and you want that HTML copied to the result you just want

<xsl:copy-of select="x/p"/>

and the p element and all its descendants will appear in the source.

If on the other hand you have

Then you have gone to the trouble to carefully flag that the stuff
inside the x element that looks like XML is just character data and not
XML markup at all. If you then change your mind and want it to appear in
the result tree as XML (which is usually what people want) then life is
harder, there are various possibilities (all FAQ's) but the usual advice
is "don't start from here"...

David

http://www.star.net.uk