RE: [xsl] Text To XML using XSL

Subject: RE: [xsl] Text To XML using XSL
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:39:50 +0100
This is much easier in XSLT 2.0 than in 1.0. I have found that many
text-to-XML applications involve the following stages:

(a) reading the text file using unparsed-text()

(b) splitting it into lines using tokenize()

(c) analyzing (parsing) the content of the lines using xsl:analyze-string
(regular expressions)

(d) grouping the lines into records using xsl:for-each-group

As you see, each stage benefits from new features in XSLT 2.0. All of them
can be done using 1.0 (for example, step (a) can be replaced by passing the
text as a string-valued parameter) but it's much harder work: sufficiently
hard work that it's probably easier to use a different language, such as
Perl.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/