Re: [xsl] Total number of pages with XSL-FO

Subject: Re: [xsl] Total number of pages with XSL-FO
From: Nadia.Swaby@xxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:23:25 -0400
Thanks for your ideas.

I am using Antennahouse for the rendering, and I could not find any custom
extension that would solve the problem.  I was experiment yesterday with
the desktop client and I found that when rendering the 1 page document, it
does produce a warning about not being able to find "ref-id" (the id of the
block on the last page).  This is to  be expected because the last page is
not generated.

So here is my next question: is there any way to see if an id exists in an
FO document?

Nadia Swaby

                      "J.Pietschmann"
                      <j3322ptm@yahoo.         To:      xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      de>                      cc:
                      2005-04-13 15:43
                      Please respond
                      to xsl-list

Nadia.Swaby@xxxxxx wrote:
> This works fine and dandy on documents greater than one page, but for one
> page documents, I get:
>
> Page 1 of 0.

This ought to be a bug in the FO processor. Report it to the vendor.

> Is there anyway to get a total page count?

No, not in a standardized, processor independent way. As the element
name already denotes you can only get *page numbers*. The approach
you used would fail if there are multiple, independently numbered
page seqences in the document and in a few other cases. You processor
might offer a processor specific extension for getting the total number
of pages.

> If not, is there anyway to test
> what fo:page-number-citation returns

No.

> (does it "return" anything?)

Not in a sense that you can use it at the XSLT stage. XSLT and FO
processing are conceptually independent processing steps.

J.Pietschmann