Re: [xsl] mixing it up: REST+XML Namespaces + XLST

Subject: Re: [xsl] mixing it up: REST+XML Namespaces + XLST
From: James Fuller <jim.fuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:57:59 +0200
Pawson, David wrote:

> [...]
hehe, actually got tired of transforming xlink:href...and said to myself
well here is an empty spot...

>    so I now find myself doing things like defining namespaces
>    for use in XSLT (though we dont have to explicitly define
>    them, necc);
>

>    then with the various fn:namespace functions e.g.
>    fn:namespace-uri,fn:namespace-uri-for-prefix,fn:namespace-ur
>    i-from-QName
>    I can now infer access these resources with document() calls.
>

>Is this the reason for using namespaces?
>(or should that be misusing?)
>

>    <xsl:variable name="company"
>    select="document(fn:namespace-uri(.))"/>
>

>    With every document() call I recieve xml with relevent
>    namespaces which point to their REST implementation...it
>    feels very state like to me, being passed a namespace which
>    contains its REST URI implementation....would like to hear
>    if anyone else is using XML namespace to their own ends ?
>
>No, but I'd not thought of using namespaces simply to make use
>of XSLT 2.0 functionality :-)

hehe, its XPATH functionality which makes it a bit more generic

>Does using a @lnk make you feel any better about it?

i have done this with xlink:href for a year and half now, all I did was
transform xlink:href......never used any xlink engine etc....never will...

>Doesn't seem very stateful to me Jim, whichever syntax is used?

well with every document() call I am guarenteed to have a few namespaces
which point to their resource, including the one for the resource
itself, so for every HTTP GET I get  resource location  for free, not to
mention that with new xml I could get another set of namespaces that all
point to their implementations.

I wont make an arguement for such a bastard child...but it does save a
few cycles and its usage within XSLT is pretty elegant.

ta, Jim Fuller