Re: [xsl] apply-templates and predicates

Subject: Re: [xsl] apply-templates and predicates
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:52:48 +0100
  But if you filter on the template match you may need to add a new template
  when the schema changes or *a* default template will be invoked. A

A template will be invoked that matches the element. I don't think that
"default" has any meaning if you don't mean th einbuilt ones.
In simle cases
match="a" match="b" match="*"
you might say the last of those was the default, but if the full set of
templates is
match="*[not(@bar)]" match="b//*" match="*[@foo]"
then which is the "default"

  If you
  filter on the invoking template no default template will be invoked.

that depends on the filter. It may be written to just accept a fixed
ist or it may be written to accept all but a fixed list.
As I just said in a different reply, if you write your select attribute
to just accept a fixed list then any new elements will be silently
ignored and finding all the places in the stylesheet that need to be
changed to accept that element (if that's what should happen) is a lot
harder than just adding a template for the new element.

David

http://www.star.net.uk