Re: [xsl] Saxon for windows?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Saxon for windows?
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david.x2x2x@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 05:56:33 -0600
These are all interesting notes.

Couple quick points  -

- Implementing transformations via a Web Service is a really easy
thing to do.  And for one off transformations its an excellent choice.
 Beyond one of transformations its a performance bottleneck,
especially when you consider chaining together transformations.

- Capturing the commandline output, again, is really quite simple.
But what next?  The only way to chain together a transformation would
be a to first save the transformation to a file, run another
commandline transformaton with that saved file, and so on and so
forth.  Again, a performance bottleneck.

- The benefits of chaining together transformations from within a
.NET-enabled language are the same as they are for performing these
operations within a Java-based application.  If you expect performance
you simply must have this ability, bottom line.

The facts -

- Saxon.NET allows the ability to perform the exact same operations
that are available to the Java programmer from any .NET-enabled
language.
- Saxon.NET utlizes the IKVM.NET Java byte-code to CIL virtual
machine.  I am also working on a pure C# implementation that utilizes
the core .NET Framework Class Libraries.
- In side-by-side comparisons of Saxon using Suns Java VM and
Saxon.NET recompiled using the latest IKVM.NET compiler (ikvmc) the
performance difference is neglible (around 5% in Saxons favor) and in
some cases (verified by Dimitre Novatchev using Saxon.NET to test his
FXSL XSLT 2.0 functional extension libraries) Saxon.NET outperforms
Sun's Java VM by as much as 100% (twice as fast.)  In particular this
is true when dealing with mathematically intense functions.

Claims that the output of Saxon.NET is inconsistent, and in some cases
incorrect, is simply wrong.

Any other questions?

--
<M:D/>