Re: [xsl] Importing compiled stylesheets

Subject: Re: [xsl] Importing compiled stylesheets
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:20:50 +1000
On 6/9/05, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Unfortunately the module mechanisms in XSLT don't really lend themselves to
> independent compilation of modules, since much of the information you need
> when compiling isn't available until all the modules are available. For
> example if A imports B, then B can refer to a global variable defined in A.
> Also, A can redefine a global variable defined in B, and the replacement
can
> even have a different type. So when you compile B, you don't know very much
> about the environment it will run in, which reduces your ability to make
> compile-time decisions.

Yes.

But in principle if there is a set of stylesheet modules such that all
references (xsl:import/xsl:include) are completely within this set
(between themselves) then we could compile every single stylesheet
module and there will not be any run-time problems in using something
like:

   <saxon:include-compiled-module href="hrefToCompiledStylesheet"/>

Or are there yet additional challenges?

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev