Re: [xsl] DFDL - Data Format Description Language?

Subject: Re: [xsl] DFDL - Data Format Description Language?
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:25:25 -0500
> I don't know anything about Extreme Markup. What's
> it like? Who goes to it?

I've never been. Perhaps next year (seems a bit late to register for this
year).

>Again, thank you. This may be just what I'm
> looking for. Is it widely supported?

I can't say for certain (who knows what unpublished and unannounced
efforts may be going forward?), but I think DFDL is just getting going.
Given the prevalence of the problem, I expect DFDL will see wide adoptance
if it does even a remotely decent job of addressing some common problems
within the problem space. I'm certainly keeping an eye on it, since many
of my potential clients have these kinds of problems.

> OH. I didn't think of that.  Of course.

I wouldn't have thought of that very quickly, either. I got it from the
Extreme Markup site some time ago. Wiseacre that I am, though, I couldn't
resist springing it on you.

Since XSLT 2.0 includes regular expression facilities, I'm sure XSL can
help solve some of these problems. As a case in point, I've already used
xsl:analyze-string to extract a bunch of paragraphs marked with
PARAGRAPH_START and PARAGRAPH_END and turn them into proper elements
objects in my FO and HTML output. With DFDL to provide the necessary hints
about how to handle a non-XML data source, XSLT 2.0's regular expression
features might very well be the entire solution to some of these problems.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

Dennis Barb <dennisxmlwork@xxxxxxxxx>
06/27/2005 03:56 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject

At 1:26 PM -0500 6/27/05, JBryant@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Try http://forge.gridforum.org/projects/dfdl-wg/

Thank you, that reallly helps.

>Mulberry is offering a tutorial on it at the 2005
Extreme Markup Languages
>conference.

I don't know anything about Extreme Markup. What's it
like? Who goes to it?

>It's basically a way to try to deal with legacy
(non-XML) data in such a
>way that XML-based systems can make sense of it. To
do that, separate
>files in the DFDL format describe the legacy content.
Put differently,
>it's a way to add metadata about legacy data that
XML-based systems can
>use to interact with the legacy data. If you have a
mix of XML and non-XML
>data, it makes sense, yes.

Again, thank you. This may be just what I'm looking
for. Is it widely supported?

>And can you say Daffodil? :D

OH. I didn't think of that.  Of course.

Thank you again.