[xsl] Re: [exslt] Re: Re: [xsl] Importing compiled stylesheets

Subject: [xsl] Re: [exslt] Re: Re: [xsl] Importing compiled stylesheets
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:25:22 -0700 (PDT)
--- James Fuller <jim.fuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >This would give the impression that only a single compiled stylesheet
> is
> >referenced. In fact the included stylesheet may and often would include
>
> >other compiled stylesheets, therefore I think that:
> >
> >  <exslt:include-compiled-module href="hrefToCompiledStylesheet"/>
> >
> >is slightly more precise in meaning.
> >

> +1, though this raises a few questions, look below

> >The intended use of the new extension element is not only to boost
> >performance, but also to make possible to deploy *libraries* of
> >xsl:function -s in a single module compiled module. Because the module
> is
> >compiled, it would be possible to hide the source code and to protect
> the
> >intellectual property of the developers.
> >

> yes, and this opens up other issues (admittedly a wider scope then
> applicable to current disc)....such as packaging with such deployment
> reuse structures...is there any XML digsig component of what we are
> discussing?  I think a bit of research is required to review some
> existing packaging efforts with XML, did this about a year ago, there
> are some interesting things happening with respect to compound xml
> documents, archives, packaged components

As Mike Kay rightfully pointed, we have an already developed spec for
modules in XQuery:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-query-prolog

and it would be wise to stick to it thus reusing the thought and
experience of the WG and also assuring that implementing
exslt:include-compiled-module will not require any significant effort from
vendours, who also implement XQuery.

> should a compiled module come along with any meta data that maybe
> introspected (version, author, etc)

The XQuery spec provides just the metadata (variable types and function
signatures), necessary for linking modules.

> is there any XML DigSig relevence with respect to protection,
> checksum...
>
> any alignment with popular deployment package formats e.g. war/jar/ear
>
> etc, etc...

I think as a first step we should concentrate on just a XQuery like
compiled module. Adding additional metadata and compression could follow
as next steps.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev

Discover Yahoo!