Re: [xsl] XSL-FO alignment

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-FO alignment
From: omprakash.v@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 17:46:49 +0530
Hi,
          A Point is 1/72 of an inch. I would say that is kind of a
universally accepted fact. Whether microsoft interprets it differently is a
matter of conjecture.

cheers,
prakash

                      "G. Ken Holman"
                      <gkholman@CraneSoftw         To:      xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      rights.com>                  cc:      (bcc: omprakash.v/Polaris)
                      05/04/2006 05:26 PM
                      Please respond to
                      xsl-list

At 2006-05-04 12:31 +1000, Kamal Bhatt wrote:
>G. Ken Holman wrote:
>>At 2006-05-04 00:09 +1000, Kamal Bhatt wrote:
>>>       <fo:block font-family="Courier" font-size="10pt"
space-before="6pt"
>>>space-after="6pt" text-align="left"
>>>                 border-style="solid" border-width="0.25pt"
>>>                 padding-left="4pt" padding-right="4pt"
padding-top="6pt"
>>>padding-bottom="6pt" line-height="15pt">
>>

>>According to XSL-FO 1.0 Section 5.3.2, your specification above
>>will draw the border *outside* of the parent boundary limits ...
>>unlike CSS.  This guarantees that the text of the border block
>>lines up with the text of an adjacent unbordered block.  If you
>>wanted the border to line up with the text, use margin-left="0pt"
>>in addition to your other properties.
>No, I want it outside of the text. I am basing this fo on a windows
>doc and that is what we do.

Then what you have should work.  Because you do not have margin="0pt"
the formatter is supposed to keep the text in alignment with adjacent
unbordered text and draw the border outside the parent area limits.

>On a related note, (and maybe someone here doesn't know this) am I
>correct in saying that the way word defines points, and even cm
>different to FO and everyone else?

No comment ... I do not know the answer.

>>>Firstly, I would am still confused about the difference between
>>>space-before and padding-before and padding-top. If someone could
explain
>>>that to me, that would be great.
>>
>>The space-before= property defines the space between the adjacent
>>block area and the area's border rectangle (which is the outside
>>edge of the border).
>>
>>The padding-before= and padding-top= both specify the distance
>>between the area's padding rectangle (which is the inside edge of
>>the border) and the area's content rectangle.  The only difference
>>between padding-before= and padding-top= is that the use of
>>writing-direction-dependent values of before/after/start/end are
>>portable across different languages while the CSS heritage
>>top/bottom/left/right are biased to left-to-right/top-down writing
directions.

>So for english it does n't matter what I use, but I should probably
>use before/after/start/end?

Correct ... but I counsel my students to use before/after/start/end
to be portable.

>What about space-* vs padding-*?

I'm not sure what is confusing about my answer above:  they are
different concepts.  There are different rectangles in play in XSL-FO
and I told you above that space-* is outside of the outside edge of
the border and padding-* is inside the inside edge of the border.

I don't know how else to describe it to you.

>>Then add margin-left="0pt" to ensure that the border does not "push
>>out" such that its context text aligns with the text of neighbouring
blocks.
>That sounds like what I want to do.

Then don't use margin-left="0pt" and a conforming XSL-FO engine will
push the border out leaving the text in alignment with adjacent
unbordered blocks.

I hope this helps.

. . . . . . . . . Ken

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04

POLARIS, THE LEADER IN SPECIALITY APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT :

Polaris has been awarded the Leader in the category of "Speciality Application Development" among the Top 100 global Companies from Cyber Media Publications for the Year 2006.

This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is sent for the intended recipient(s) only.
If by an addressing or transmission error this mail has been misdirected to you, you are requested to delete this mail immediately.
You are also hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message, contents or its attachment other than by its intended recipient/s is strictly prohibited.

Visit Us at http://www.polaris.co.in