[xsl] processing source XML while inside variable processing - XSLT 1.0

Subject: [xsl] processing source XML while inside variable processing - XSLT 1.0
From: news@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:01:24 +0200
Hello List,

I've a variable which I process inside a template. While processig this
variable I want to get data from the source XML document, applying
templates.

<xsl:for-each select="$theVariable">
 <!-- some code here -->
  <xsl:apply-template select="aNodeInsideTheSourceDocument" />

 <!-- some more code here -->
</xsl:for-each>

The problem is, that while processing the variable "theVariable" with
"xsl:for-each", the "apply-templates" command searches for
"aNodeInsideTheSourceDocument" inside "theVariable" but not as required
inside the source XML document.

Is there any way to process the source document whily processing a variable
with XSLT 1.0?

Thanks & with best regards,
Jan