Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 Vs XSLT 1.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 Vs XSLT 1.0
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:15:37 -0400
Hi,

At 12:16 PM 5/11/2006, you wrote:
Thank you for your response. I was reading that XSLT2.0 is still not
stable. What are your comments on this? We are trying to make a
decision as to whether it is worth moving to xslt 2.0 Vs. xslt 1.0 and
their advantages and disadvantages.

I can offer a different perspective on this. Not being either a vendor or a language designer, both of whom have stakes in the answer, I can speak as a disinterested observer, though a very interested one.

Whether 2.0 is "stable" depends on how you define the term. By one definition, XSLT 2.0 is quite stable, while by another it's not stable at all and won't be until the day it suddenly is. Nevertheless, many operations are in a position where we can afford to bet on its success. XSLT 2.0 will really be nailed down once we see more takeup by developers and vendors, but we are also in a position where their customers (we) can perhaps start encouraging that development more fervently, not least by using the language. Some vendors who picked up XSL 1.0 want to repeat that experience, while others don't. This is natural. Our task, assuming we want 2.0 to flourish, is to encourage all vendors, major and minor, along with all freelance developers, to consider implementing 2.0 and to make their decision whether to do so on the merits, not on what has happened in the past (both good and not).

It is hardly likely that anyone will repeat the experience of 1.0, but this doesn't mean XSLT 2.0 has no future. If you're in a position where you can start using it, by all means feel free to do so (it is "stable" enough for that), at least on projects where the consequences are low if the technology never moves much beyond its current state (supported by Saxon), or if it changes radically between now and when it is finalized (which is unlikely, but strange things happen). That puts you in a much better position to assess not only when it will be "stable" (however you define that), but also how meaningful to you are its benefits.

The more there are of us out here who are able to support investment in XSLT 2.0, the more likely it is to become fully stable, and the easier it will be to generate the necessary support to make it so.

Regards,
Wendell