[xsl] Building XML

Subject: [xsl] Building XML
From: Steve <subsume@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:38:20 -0400
I'm rather new to XML/XSL and I'm having what seems to me to be a design error.

I create a lot of reports which have, for example, a person's
information and then associated items like expenses, goals, etc, which
are taken from a SQL database and output XML for display.

Tacking these associated items on has the feeling of being cludgy.
While I don't want to arouse the vindication of the group by pasting
ASP code, the basic gist is that I get the records of the person, and
then I tack on the expenses below the root node. The limitation to
this is that its a one-time thing--my functions don't allow for, say,
multiple people and multiple expenses. I feel this is a

I attempted to take care of this in XML by simply making an ASP file
that accepts somewhat arbitrary SQL and outputs XML, and then just
calling it remotely using XSL's document() function.

So, to document() or not to document() subitems.

-S